Discover Bitwig Studio 4, the innovative music creation and performance software. Record and arrange in the timeline, perform in the Clip Launcher, and build audio devices in The Grid. Bitwig Studio takes your musical ideas through each stage of production.
- Intuitive sequencing for the studio world and beyond: Use the nonlinear Clip Launcher and the Arranger together.
- Hybrid Tracks can contain notes, audio, or both.
- Use tabs to open multiple projects at once and drag-and-drop between them.
- Multi-display support for up to three displays.
- A truly cross-platform DAW (Windows, macOS (Intel and Apple Silicon/M1), Linux).
- Native VST plug-in bridge (for 32-/64-bit support), and VST crash protection so audio never stops. Also includes delay compensation, flexible multi-out, and sidechain capabilities.
- Eight diverse time-stretching algorithms.
- Hardware- and modular-friendly: Send and receive control voltage signals (CV/Gate).
- Multi-touch support for Windows and Linux, with a dedicated Tablet display profile.
- Flexible syncing options: MIDI clock, MIDI time code, Analog clock, Ableton LINK.
- Support of numerous MIDI controllers out of the box and native MPE support for next-generation controllers.
Modular and Expressive
- Bitwig Studio’s unique Modulation System features 30+ Modulators (LFOs, envelopes, and other creative tools). These can freely modulate Bitwig devices, VST plug-ins, and hardware, allowing precise control of each parameter.
- Device Nesting allows devices and plug-ins to be embedded within other devices. This makes complex structures easy to navigate and presets much richer.
- With Operators you can sequence notes and audio events with operations such as Chance, Repeats, Occurrence, or Recurrence.
Advanced Editing Options
- Layered editing of multiple clips, across multiple tracks.
- Each audio clip can be cut into individual audio events for powerful editing and arranging.
- Comping allows you to combine the best parts of your audio takes.
- Bounce and Bounce in Place for Clips or time selection
130+ Devices Included
Bitwig Studio devices are virtual instruments, audio effects, and other tools for crafting signal into sound. The extensive array of included devices can cover all your sound design needs, from the subtle to the extreme. Bitwig Studio includes instruments and effects such as:
- Polysynth, our subtractive synthesizer: Two flexible oscillators plus drive, waveshaping, feed-back, and a lush filter equals so much more.
- Drum Machine: Drop in samples or electronic drum synths. Each note is now its own audio chain.
- Sampler: A versatile instrument for playing and manipulating audio with several playback modes, including granular or wavetable options and much more.
- Amp: A flexible and powerful amp simulator.
- EQ+ is a feature-packed graphical equalizer with up to 8 bands, excellent visualization, mouse gestures, and new algorithms.
- Phase-4: A four-oscillator phase modulation and phase distortion synthesizer for classic, modern, and future sounds.
- The Grid is an open modular sound design environment that powers a family of devices. It includes a vast library of modules and a supersonic workflow.
- Polymer, a fun and quick synth: Pick an oscillator, a filter, and an envelope generator. Choose your synthesis method: Subtractive, FM/PM, hard sync, PWM, phase distortion, and Wavetable? Polymer covers them all.
A full starter kit right out of the box: Over 2,000 sounds and factory presets, including: drum machines, acoustic drums, multi-sampled instruments, instrument loops, sound effects, various synth presets, and curated Artist Collections.
All software updates in the following 12 months are FREE.
New in Bitwig 4.2!
What sounds good? Steinberg got inspired by some classic audio effects units and then made a suite of excellent effects for Bitwig Studio 4.2. Please welcome new choruses, flangers, phasers, and just one more note FX to the family.
New Audio FX
They may look like three new devices — Chorus+, Flanger+, Phaser+ — but you're really getting more like 12. Each device has four unique Character modes that use a different architecture, just like the eras of vintage studio hardware. So the modes and settings might remind you of particular gear, but instead of emulating units, each Character was designed to have range and sound good. Like, really good.
And Chorus+, Flanger+, and Phaser+ are also available as Grid modules. So throw these full effects into any Grid patch, with the freedom to craft a stereo modulation signal or make it fully polyphonic. As always, whatever you can imagine is possible in The Grid.
Exit The Grid
In the spirit of The Grid, our new Note Grid device allows you to build your own note effects. To give a hint of what is possible, Steinberg has included a handful of note processor and generator patches, with more to come from them and you.
Creating notes only requires a Note Out module and a gate signal. So whether you are putting a new spin on classic note effects or building a music-generating patch, The Grid has you covered.
Notes truly are signals in Bitwig Studio, and Note Grid is just the newest way to set notes in motion. The Notes In Motion package includes 30+ patches that generate music with creative arpeggiators, sequencers, note repeaters, drum machines and more.
If you own a full Bitwig Studio license (4.2 or later) with an active Upgrade Plan, the Notes in Motion sound package is now available for free via Dashboard > Packages > Essentials Collection.
And Then Some
4.2 has a few miscellaneous updates to mention. For starters, nous parlons français! Bitwig is now available in French. With new audio effects in the works, it was especially handy to have mini views for modules that visualize their effects, Oscilloscope and Spectrum. A new Anti-aliasing option for most Grid Shaper modules also felt right, along with a new Hard Clip module joining the team.
Since Note Grid can sort signals into the 16 MIDI channels, the new Channel-16 modulator helps you use those groupings on any instrument or plug-in. And when generating notes with a module like Probabilities, it just made sense to add a Confidence output, good for per-step velocities or just a little self-assurance.
The updated sound content includes 44 presets for the new audio FX devices, as well as presets of the eight patches shown in the Note Grid feature video.
12 GB free disk space required (for full content installation). Minimum 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended). 64-bit OS: PC Windows 7 or later. Mac macOS 10.13 or later (both Intel and Apple Silicon/M1 powered macs are supported). Linux Ubuntu 17.04 or later. For latest system requirements and OS compatibility, please see our website at bitwig.com.