SKULPT is a powerful desktop performance synthesizer that allows musicians to quickly sketch and perform music anywhere. This synthesizer features a unique 32-oscillator virtual analogue sound engine, carefully designed by the Modal developers in Bristol, UK. It’s unique synth architecture with 2 WAVE groups, incorporating 4-oscillators per voice let musicians, producers and DJs perform with classic synth sounds as well as create exciting new sound textures from soft to brutal.
Play and record rich classic and modern synthesizer sounds with the flexible 4-voice synth architecture, expandable to 16 voices
Create and save impressive sound textures with up to 8 oscillators per voice, morphable waveforms, analogue-style morphable filter and flexible effects
Master your performances with MPE support and the integrated real-time sequencer with up to 4 Animation lanes
Integrate SKULPT into your production and live performance setup thanks to its full-size MIDI connections and 3.5 mm Sync in and outs
Access all synthesiser functions and update SKULPT synthesizer via the free MODALapp, available on macOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS, Android and AU/VST3
Use it anywhere with its portable and lightweight, yet durable desktop design with real-time controls and 16 touch keys, powered by 6 AA batteries or USB power
Two WAVE groups per voice with 4 oscillators each provide deep hands-on control over the sound and sweep smoothly between sine, triangle, saw, square, PWM and Noise sources. Additional oscillator modulation using FM, Ring Modulation or the hugely powerful onboard LFOs unveil an unmatched potential for sound customization.
The state-variable 2-pole filters morph from low pass through to band pass and through to high pass. With its resonance feature it picks out rich harmonics at high resonance levels.
Three dedicated envelopes for the filter, amp and modulation give excessive control of the dynamics and expression. The available 2 LFOs, one global and one polyphonic can be synced to internal or external tempo. The polyphonic LFO syncs also to a division of the fundamental frequency of the played notes for both brutal and subtle modulation of the sound.
Next-Gen Performances Out Of The Box
SKULPT supports MPE and offers musicians creative new musical ways to model sounds with your fingertips. Connect your MPE compatible MIDI controller and endeavor next-generation expressive sound articulations only possible with a genuine instrument like SKULPT.
SKULPT has a deceptively capable real-time sequencer on board. It is pretty easy to capture performances, quantize, loop & hold them as well as capturing 4 lanes of Animation on the fly – this alone introduces some crazy modulation possibilities and is key to getting to know this synthesizer.
This coupled with the adaptable on-board arpeggiator, chord and transpose functions open an entire new world for complex and exciting synth sounds.
Polish With Effects
Built-in distortion (waveshaping overdrive) and delay effects add character and depth to the signal. The distortion delivers interesting overtone textures from subtitle to heavy overdrive.
The delay effect injects expressive complexity from short slap-backs and room-style reverb sounds to long overlaying or psychedelic echoes using the sequencer animation. To create chorusing and other time-based effects the delay can be modulated. Internal or external sync generate rhythmic interaction with the tempo of a track.
Open To All Environments
SKULPT has a comprehensive set of connections to power and control the synth using USB, monitor with headphones or using the dedicated line output, sync with external gear using the full-size MIDI in and out or the 3.5 mm Sync in or outputs.
The Global Tune Setting ensures a perfect integration into mixed setups with other, less accommodating equipment in studio and live applications, like analogue synthesizers or DJ turntables, which tend to be less precise in tuning.
Expand the sound of SKULPT synthesizer is possible by polychaining up to 4 units for a total of 16 voices and 128 oscillators.
- 4 voices virtual-analogue Oscillators
- 32 oscillators, 32 oscillators, 8 per voice, split into 2 WAVE groups
- Individual waveform morphing for WAVE group
- Available waveforms WAVE 1: Sine – Triangle – Saw – Square – PWM
- Available waveforms WAVE 2: Sine – Triangle – Saw – Square –Noise
- Multi option Unison / spread to detune the 32 oscillators for massive sounds
- FM, PWM, tuning and Ring Modulation options
- Mixer section for WAVE levels
- Analog-style morphing 2-pole filter with resonance
- Seamless morphing from low pass, through band pass, to high pass
- 3 x envelope generators for Filter, Amplitude and Modulation
- 2 x audio rate LFOs, one global and one polyphonic
- 8-slot modulation matrix with 8 sources and 37 destinations
Sequencer and Arpeggiator
- Realtime sequencer that will record up to 256 notes and up to 4 parameters of animation
- Fully featured arpeggiator with division, direction, octave, bipolar swing, Arp Latch and sustain controls
- Distortion (waveshaping overdrive)
- Delay with modulation, sync to internal and external tempo sources
- 128 sound memory locations
- 64 sequence memory locations
Controls and Performance
- 16-key touch MIDI keyboard
- 14 endless encoders and 13 buttons to access synth parameters for sound programming and real-time tweaks while performing
- Compatible with MPE enabled MIDI controllers for expressive performance articulations
- Monophonic, Duophonic and Polyphonic play modes available
Inputs and Outputs
- 3.5 mm / 1/8” TRS dual-mono output
- 3.5 mm / 1/8” TRS headphone output
- MIDI DIN In and Out 3.5mm / 1/8”
- Analogue clock sync In and Out
- Class compliant MIDI over USB connection
- Powered by USB or 6 x AA batteries, USB cable included
- Lightweight and durable hard plastic enclosure with removable protection hood
- Dimensions: 255mm x 135m x 68mm / 10” x 5 1/2” x 3”
- Weight: 0.53 kg / 1.17 lbs (without batteries)